Nepenthes, commonly known as the Hanging or Asian Pitcher Plants. Hanging appearance of this plant boost the garden beauty.
|1||Pitcher plant, Nepenthes alata (hanging basket)- Plant|
|2||7.1 inch (18 cm) Corsica No. 18 Hanging Round Plastic Pot (Black)|
The pitcher is actually a swelling of the mid-vein in the leaf. Insects are attracted to this because of nectar secretions and coloration. The slippery rim (peristome) and inner walls of the pitcher encourage insects to fall into the digestive fluid at the bottom of the trap.
|Common Name||Pitcher plant, pitfall trap plant|
|Maximum Reachable Height||Up to 3 feet|
|Flower Colour||Green to Maroon|
|Bloom Time||April to June (Depends on the climate)|
|Difficulty Level||Easy to grow|
Planting And Care
- Water a plant when the soil feels dry to touch. Water thoroughly in the summer and reduce watering for the winter & rainy season.
- Try to water the plants in the morning around 8-10am.
- You should remove dead, infected or damaged plant parts and throw in the garbage collector.
- You should prune and fertilize a plant mostly in the spring season.
- When a plant grows beyond its limit and pot size not providing enough space
- Keep the potting media moist.
- Do not water on the plant part.
- Apply fertilizer in small quantity.
Pitcher Plant Care
Use potting media as coarse soil, coco peat, and perlite. Keep the environment humid and the soil moist but dont let the plants stand constantly in water.
Sunlight Partial sunlight Watering Moderately Soil Sandy loam soil Temperature 20 to 30 degrees C Fertilizer Apply any organic fertilizer.
Pitcher Plant Uses
- It is used as an ornamental plant